Welcome to Ascension House.
Ascension House is a unique newly forming residential urban community for those who have recently finished seminary and are looking for a distinctly different form of service, formation, and prayer.
Community members serve with parishes around New Haven as assistant clergy, live in intentional community, are mentored by clergy around the area, and partner with neighbors to coordinate mission and worship.
In so many ways, this program is an attempt to live into the Prayer Book's definition of the duty of all Christians which is "to work, pray, and give for the spread of the kingdom of God."
This is a time of sacrificial service and giving. This is not an experience that is for everyone - if you think it is for you then we look forward to talking.
This program serves many needs:
- It provides a unique experience when the number of curacy positions is dwindling
- It affords parishes access to a “curate” at a reduced cost as budgets are strained
- It serves as a link between parishes, community service sites, and ministries
- It creates a new semi-monastic community to serve God’s people
- It re-plants an Episcopal presence in the Hill neighborhood and builds a new Eucharistic community
- It draws us deeper into God’s mission, the community of New Haven, and the Hill neighborhood through partnerships with agencies such as New Haven Reads
O God of unchangeable power and eternal light: Look favorably on your whole Church, that wonderful and sacred mystery; by the effectual working of your providence, carry out in tranquillity the plan of salvation; let the whole world see and know that things which were being cast down are being raised up, and things which had grown old are being made new, and that all things are being brought to their perfection by him through whom all things were made, your Son Jesus Christ our Lord; who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
The Collect for Ordination to the Priesthood, BCP 1979